Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Angelabritt
New Contributor

Religious fixation early signs

• I have Bipolar 1 and my son is 16 years old. My mum has been getting increasingly concerned by some changes in my sons behaviour. He is incredibly fixated on Catholism at the moment. He has created a prayer shrine in his room and is constantly buying things for his shrine. He is also obsessed with Germany and WWII and  has convinced me to travel there with him in Sept. I have noticed that he no longer knows how to complete his school work when he's usually a strong student. He has trouble sleeping and only eats once a day part of a religious observance. His teachers are concerned about his right winged views. Mum is concerned that he may have some early signs of schizophrenia.  I am a mental health practitioner and can see why she is concerned. Just wondering what other early signs I should consider. I plan to write down what  notice for some time before approaching him. As he has seen me unwell over the years he doesn't believe in mental illness of taking medication. He has mild Autism and can become fixated at times but this behaviour is really unusual for him. I actually decided today not to apply any pressure during VCE as he seems lost as to how to meet requirements of his education. He has a high IQ and I expected him to do well in VCE but this week he wrote an entire essay from a right winged perspective and failed that assessment. He has lost all perspective as to what I'd appropriate. He won't listen to other ppls points of view. Just don't know where to start. Thanks for any ideas in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Religious fixation early signs

Hey there @Angelabritt 

Thanks so much for sharing on our forums. I hope that you're able to get the support and advice that you need during this time. 

I just wanted to say that we have an upcoming Topic Tuesday event that is focussing on all things bipolar, as well as having a lived experience guest to answer all of your questions that you might have. 

I will link the event for you here if you are interested. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions at all about it,

Sitting with you

Amber22

Hi @Angelabritt 

Welcome to the forums and thanks for reaching out. 

It sounds like this is something that's been building for a little while now and I can understand that you don't want to upset your son's equilibrium while he needs to study, but I can also hear hesitancy in broaching topics that seem almost 'taboo'. 

If your son is slipping at school, and the agenda isn't aligning with his belief system, this may need to be a discussion with a school counsellor, yourself and the teachers. Being able to discuss these views in a broader context, without subverting them and causing them to become independent or shamed would be the best option, although I can understand that this may be quite difficult, particularly if this is becoming a strong adherence/fixation/belief system.

Does, or would your son meet a Catholic counsellor/priest, to help you both work through some of the dietary and religious views? This could be part of your agreement in going overseas? 

Another avenue to look at might be online groups, in terms of right wing targeting. 

I can hear you're worried for your son. Being able to support him in his journey as well as try to provide education (catholic or school) and balance for his perspectives might be a good consolation? 

Hey @Angelabritt ,

That sure sounds concerning from a parent's perspective as well as from a mental health professional's perspective.

Because he doesn't seem to be 'in danger', I wonder if it's something you and the school can monitor. Unfortunately, it's hard to get teenagers to reach out for help, especially when they don't see there's an issue.

Would he even consider going to the GP with you just to have a 'chat' to the GP?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance