Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Ashlondon
Casual Contributor

When depression creeps back?

Hi I've been on 100 mg of antidepressants for about 5 months and this week I feel so down and just not myself. I can't think straight and it's just this down feeling like the cloud is back over my head. I am scared that I'm going to fall back into my depression.<br>Any advice? I Have my councillor session tomorrow I do hope that helps.<br>Advice please:

4 REPLIES 4

Re: When depression creeps back?

I find for me i am on a roller coaster always, travelling well sometimes and then it all creeps back...its great that you are able to acknowledge when its creeping back....when im in that situation i need to distract my thoughts from falling too deep too dark...by doing anything at all..i struggle with motivation so if i cant get myself out of the house, i will write, or clean up, or move around furniture, have heaps of showers, read, sing anything at all that is around me i will try and make sure that i get occupied that i distract my thoughts enough to pass. Sometimes when its really bad i go to the doctor especially if i cant get in to see my councellor. When its early enough stages where i am first picking up the signs or triggers thats spiraling deep again i do what ever i can to breath, yep breath fresh air, if theres a park nearby, a beach nearby, some where you are able to sit quietly and just breath it helps. Also in the first stages of noticing it coming back, i force myself to write a 'gratitude list' no matter how big or small i right things i can be greatful for eg. clean drinking water, food, shoes, ... once i start writing the basics the list then gets easier and bigger after a while this exercise helps..
Goodluck, we can hear you we hear your voice , its hard its real hard but you are here and you are cared about, you are not alone, you are worth life xx

Hi @Ashlondon

How was the session with your counsellor? Were you able to identify what might have brought this on?

@Binyini - I really like your post - great practical ideas. And you are right when you say its hard its real hard but you are here and you are cared about, you are not alone, you are worth life

Couldn't put it better myself.

My councillor helped me a lot, she said I need to focus on self compassion and has given me tasks.<br>I need to change the way I think, this week I'm going to try and write a journal and just write nice things I would like to happen and just keep that in mind.<br>I feel we will have bad times but it's all<br>About just getting by them and just being kind to our selves yes I may have put a lot of weight over the week because I have comforted eaten but I'm alive.<br>Up and downs will come and go I guess.<br>I love this forum! <br>Thanks everyone

I like the sound of your counsellor 🙂

Keep us updated on how the journalling goes - we're always looking for practical tips and strategies and hearing if they are useful or not!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance