Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Hippychick7878
Contributor

Wanting a home to call home me

I'm 42 years old and have mental issues I'm living on a couch I've been couch surfing for mnths now I do get NDIS but no funding for accommodation I'm hoping that someone out there could tell me more about independent living and what I have to do to get into housing I'm living with domestic violence and very unhappy I've tryed so many companies but because I don't get funding noone can help I do get disibilty support pension so paying rent is not a issue need advise please who can I call or email kind regards Nicole

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Wanting a home to call home me

Hi @Hippychick7878

I'm so sorry you find yourself in this very difficult situation. I am sorry I cannot help you on the emergency housing front as I have no knowledge of the system. 
However I used to be a police officer and helped placed women in your situation in women's shelters temporarily till they could find more permanent accommodations. Because of privacy and safety reasons these are not places you can just ring or book into. 
My suggestion for you would be to ring or better yet go into your local police station and explain your situation to them and see if you can be situated somewhere safe. 
Take care of yourself xx

BB 🐰💙

Hi and welcome, @Hippychick7878 , it's good to have you here. I'm so sorry that you're homeless 😞

The only idea I had was to google local housing advocacy organisations in your area - they help people to get into housing and point them in  the right direction. For instance, there is only one in my area and of course they are overloaded, but they can help. We are not allowed to mention specific local organisations due to anonymity rules, but if you google, you should be able to find something in your area hopefully. 

Good luck! 

Hi @Hippychick7878 That is a really tough place to be Smiley Sad 

@bipolarbunny's suggestion is a good one - you can also contact 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732) - they have both a counselling and referral service and may be able to help with where to go for temprary accomodation. The website also has a service directory that may be a good starting point.

Once you're in a safer place, you could try a disability advocate for help getting a review of your NDIS plan for supported independent living in a permanent place away from the DV.

Hello @Hippychick7878 

I'm sorry you are in this position. I'm glad you found us and members have been able to offer some helpful suggestions. I'm thinking of you and really hope the suggestions are the start of change for the better for you. Take care 🙏

Hi @Hippychick7878 ,

If you happened to be in VIC, I would have known plenty of organisations who could help you with housings, eg. Melbourne City Mission, Wombat Housing, Launch Housing, Womens Housing Ltd.

Here's from the government's website: https://www.housing.vic.gov.au/crisis-emergency-accommodation

You may get:

1. Temporary/transitional/crisis accommodation

2. Rental assistance

3. Bond assistance

4. Utility concession 

NDIS should be able to provide accommodation for you. They offer rental for rooming house, private apartment unit, as well as private housing with a range of budget. I have assisted quite a few in securing NDIS units as their workers are too busy. But we are all in Victoria.  

For domestic violence, you may contact The Orange Door, Safe Steps, The Salvation Army, etc.

Hope this helps. Act fast, stay safe!

Great information, @Lilaca to @Hippychick7878. I too receive NDIS and am under the impression I could access some kind of housing assistance if needed, though I'm not sure how much assistance. Sounds like crisis accommodation could be a good start if you can find that in your area via Google searches. So sorry you are in this situation at this time of your life. I got away from an abusive situation many years ago and life has got a lot better for me since then. May the future be better for you as well.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance