Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday // NDIS: A Carers Journey // Tues 19 Nov, 7pm AEDT

my mothers ex husband who i am still close with has been hospitalised recently for a psych condition. we are only just beginning to work out where to start and if ndis can offer him anything helpful

@eth Heart

This is very informative @SarahPeerAmb  - The difference between NDIA and a local area coordinator particularly. I wonder if people are aware of the difference between the two? 

Sounds like you are a great support to him @Former-Member ! Certainly I am sure the NDIS have some options for him, there's a fair bit of info about access on their site here. 🙂 

When speaking to other carers, and also when speaking with NDIS participants, a lot of people are unaware of the difference 😞 It also varies depending on whether the person you care for is an adult or whether they are a child - if they are a child, they might be solely managed by a Local Area Coordinator. It can be quite confusing @Former-Member 

So sorry to hear about your mother's ex-husband @Former-Member - I hope he can get the support he needs 🙂

The Access Snapshots you posted about @Former-Member from the NDIS website are REALLY useful in my opinion. The "Evidence of Psychosocial Disability" form, which I believe is quite new, is also really useful. Great tips!

Great @SarahPeerAmb ! Really good to know there's some gold in the evidence of psychosocial disability 🙂 Hopefully our members check it out!

Hi @SarahPeerAmb @Former-Member @Shaz51 @Former-Member 

I am following along in the background because all this is new to me. I dk if my son would be eligible, and I have heard a lot about how onerous the process is so I'm keen to hear others' experiences. 

I dk what NDIA coordinator v local area is. Can someone spell it out - assume no knowledge at all for me!

i will look at this link tonight thanks for that @SarahPeerAmb @Former-Member