Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Employment and Mental Health // Tues 8th June, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@Zoe7 wrote:

I did disclose some of my MI to my Principal at the time I became unwell @Ultravox and it could not have been better received - she was absolutely behind me all the way until she left. More recently I have alluded to my mental health but not disclosed exactly. In our team there are several others who have their own ongoing issues so in a way it is through our own lived experiences that we can both relate to, support and care for each other - often with nothing needed to be said as we just now.

That is so great to hear @Zoe7

Re: Topic Tuesday // Employment and Mental Health // Tues 8th June, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

b) Are there times you would choose not to disclose in a workplace?

At job interviews I do not feel I need to disclose that I have a mental illness as it does not impact on the duties of the role that I am undertaking. I am wary not to disclose too early upon starting a new job as I want to show the work place that I am a capable worker and wait until I form trusting relationships and rapport with colleagues. Also if it is only a short term contract I feel it is not always necessary to share with every one unless I started experiencing ill mental health.

Hi everyone.

I have no Absenteeism on my work record.

Yet I've virtually Burnt out several times.

With no recognition of the Stressful nature of Disability Support Work - No recognition or support for staff Mental Health, either.

12 year's experience in the Disability & Aged Care Sector - Especially with people with Challenging Behaviours, which was very Taxing on my Mental Health, being punched, kicked & bitten etc.

12 year's in Horticulture, Gardening, Nursery plant production, & plant sales.

No aggressive clients in Horticulture - Instead the Greensmen (fellow staff) were violent.

I was assaulted by a Co-Worker, at work (as a Gardener) whilst working at a Private Golf Course.

I had to file a Police Report.

Also very Taxing on my Mental Health - No action was taken against the Offender.

Adge

Apologies for being late.

I have worked with people with disabilities, in research and in statistics. One private sector job asked me to leave when I said that I was having psychological issues. I could have argued to keep my job but I was too unwell at the time. I lost another job from mental illness episode, and it took me many years to rebuild my career back to the level I'd been at.

b) What has been your experience in the workplace when living with a mental health concern?

I have found that I am better not disclosing the mi. It's not usually relevant to my ability to get the work done. When it becomes an issue, ie I get sick, then I cover it up if I can. In the past I've gotten unpaid leave, kept my job and then got Centrelink sickness allowance until I can return to work. I don't think sickness allowance exists anymore.

Disclosure is a tricky dilemma. I certainly will never say I have schizoaffective disorder. But I have said that I have been put on antidepressants to a boss once who was understanding.

I find part time work is a good balance for me and my current life stage, with kids, ageing parents and my mi history. I work 30hr/week

Hi @BlueBay, "presenteeism" and the worry about taking a sick day is something we hear a lot from peers. We will be diving into this a bit more very soon too, so glad you raised this

@Zoe7  so lucky you have great support at work 

Hi Zoe7, it is so good to hear that you had a good experience. Some bosses really are understanding and empathetic and have a good understanding about mental illness and how to treat a person with respect. It is good to be valued.

Opening up to colleagues that you trust first sounds like it was a good way to build your confidence with disclosure @Ultravox . Telling managers or team leaders is also a common place of disclosure, especially if adjustments need to be made in the workforce or time off is needed. It sounds like so far in the discussion there have been mixed expeirence of disclosure. 

Similar to you, I am really careful how and when I disclose. You mentioned @Ultravox that you have been a peer worker before, and that’s a really interesting experience because part of the role requires you to be open and disclose lived experience as part of your role. I’ve found this really helpful as it seemed to be better received by workplaces who employed people in lived experience dedicated roles.

It’s a good point about disclosing in interview, that’s something I am cautious of too. I think it’s also about finding safe people in your organisation if you want to disclose. A big one for me is sitting back and listening to how other people talk about mental health to know if it is safe for me to disclose- if there is stigmatizing language or an unhealthy workplace culture, I’m far less likely to share my experience.

I also like to make sure I know my rights as a worker. There are laws on your side around discrimination and fair work- I always make sure I know my rights. Fair Work website is a good place to start and the Disability Discrimination Act. In regards to what can and can’t be asked in interview, Seek also has a great resource that explains what questions can and can’t be asked.

I don't feel it is necessary for me to disclose anything about my health - I just get on with what I need to do and work around my health the best I can. My MI does not define me - I am so much more than dealing with my MIs - in-fact I do not see it as an issue at all but I also took the time off I needed to get back on top of things - something that I believe so many do not do because of the stigma and questions attached to doing that.

Hi @Adge,
Burnout and stressful work environments can have such a big impact for mental health and wellbeing. I'm so sorry to hear the experiences you had, both in physical nature and wellbeing. No one should feel unsafe like that at work Heart
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance