Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

scared but I dont know why

I am feeling really scared about having my depot tomorrow but i dont know why i am scared. i just dont want to have it and i am trying to do what my psychologist suggested and try and think of the positives of the medication but i am still feeling really really scared and i am worried i will get there and freak out or not be able to sit for it and idk what to do. has anyone been scared of something and not known why?  

8 REPLIES 8

Re: scared but I dont know why

It's natural to feel nervous when facing an unwanted but necessary medical procedure. Can you try imagining yourself going in and going through the whole thing calmly? That can sometimes help me if I'm nervous about something. Just don't go picturing the doctor in their underwear, lol.

@Eden1919 

I don't know you or your situation well enough to offer much advice...

But I can offer my wishes for your strength to overcome your fears

Hey @Eden1919,

I take it you have had one of these shots before or is this your first time?

Do you think you are afraid that this will change you?  If so, can you outline how the shot might change you for the better and also for the worst?  Maybe take these concerns with you and talk with the doctor before having the shot about your main concerns and see if he can explain to you if those risks are justified or if they are not seen as a side effect. 

The shot will be recommended for you to provide you with the opportunity to get better.  Has it been explained to you that it is a stop gap or do you feel it will be ongoing with no end date?

Hello @Eden1919 I feel for you in such a situation. I know that my family member fought against having involuntary injections during different detainment periods in various hospitals in different states. You have a psychologist supporting you whom I am assuming that you trust. It is a human reaction to feel scared about something that you do not want to happen. Someone who responded suggested talking about it. This is also what I would suggest. Don’t ask. Tell them that you don’t want it and are scared. Ask them to discuss this with you before receiving the depot. This will help you somewhat as you have taken the step in talking about what happens to your body. This is your right. You have already started standing up for reassurance and acknowledging your rights by writing about your feelings. You have come a long way in getting to this stage. I want to say to you that you can be proud of where you are now. especially as you are still questioning and are aware of your fears and feelings. Well done. Keep on writing and believing in yourself. All the best. Sophia

Hello @Eden1919 I really feel for you in your situation.Heart

I support the other suggestions here, there are some very insightful ideas that might help you manage your fears and feel heard.

If you can't remember what you want to say under stress, perhaps writing down the points you want to get across might help, or even write out all of what you want to say, and keep your own copy too for later reference. 

When I have to undergo proceedures or whatever that I don't want to, but have to, I have learned to give myself a reward for having having subjected myself to the intrusions. Usually, when I know it's coming up, I do some thinking and looking for something that would give me a sense of comfort and well being, and have it sorted for when I come back from the proceedure/s. Doing the thinking about rewards also helps take my mind away from the bothersome thoughts.

You're clever, you know yourself, you're very kind and I'm thinking all sorts of good thoughts for you to get through this. Heart

@Gwynn thank you I am trying to picture calm things about the situation but of course no underwear lol. 

@StuF  thank you.

@AussieRecharger  i have had it before a number of times and it is an ongoing thing I have to have it every 3 weeks for i dont know how long. i guess i am scared in some ways because i dont like some of the side effects and maybe it is the actual procedure itself i am not sure but it is hard. thanks. 

@Sophia1  I am sorry about your family member being forced to have medication is so scary. thank you i will try and wrote down my feelings before the appointment and if i manage to get something down i might try taking it to my case manager who i am seeing after. 

@Last-Lament  thanks, planning a reward is a good idea I might try and think of something simple i can do after that way i will have some incentive to get it over and done with as quickly as possible. 

Well I had my depot yesterday and it was horrible. the man who did it did a terrible job and it hurts a lot more than ususal and i was so scared and he didnt even care in fact he seemed annoyed and impatient like i was a hassle even though i was just sitting there. anyway i wont let him do it again someone else will have to do it because he isnt touching me again. 

So sorry to hear about such a dreadful  experience.

@Eden1919 

Perhaps he was experiencing anxiety around giving you the injection.

I am not making excuses for him.

In fact people delivering these injections should be properly  trained in not only administering; most importantly reassuring and showing that they respect you as a person.

Asking for someone else to do it next time in advance, sounds like a sensible way of protecting your vulnerability.

All the best with working hard at looking after yourself.

Sophia

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance