Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jolene
Casual Contributor

To return to home or not

My adult son, 21 years, has had his second drug induced psychosis within a 2 year period and this time his delusions and paranoia are aimed at me.  He's currently in hospital having been placed on involuntary order under the mental health act. Last time he came home for  a year to recover and I provided him with emotional and financial support.  This time he's making  wild accusations which are hurtful and untrue. I don't feel that returning home is the best situation this time and I feel unsafe. But what other option does he have? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: To return to home or not

@Jolene  Hi Jolene and welcome to the forums. If you are feeling worried about your safety with the possible return of you 21 year old son definitely do not have him back. Would he consider going into drug rehab? Idk as my son has schizophrenia and was violent in his teens but has calmed down now that he is 26 and a pleasure to share the house with as he takes his medications and drugs were never an issue for us. Again if you are feeling unsafe do not have your son back in the house he is an adult now and has to take responsibility for his own actions at the end of the day with the support of his family of course. greenpea

Thank you for your comments @greenpea @.The issue with him going into rehab is that we live in a regional area and there are waiting lists and with the covid-19 some places are not taking any new referalls. I have been told that if they can't find a place they just release them without having any secure accommodation. I couldn't let him become homeless or couch surf. I have suggested to the acute mental health unit rehab and the nurse said she would write this in his file and follow up with a social worker. I can't see how they can release him back into my care if he's making threats and accusations to me. Where'd their duty of care

Hi I am very sorry for this difficult dilemma you are facing with your son. I think that your safety must come first, even though we feel so responsible to our children and that we should put them first like when they were young. His mental illness is not his fault. It's not like he needs to be punished or anything. It's just that your life and safety is important. My understanding is that a public hospital should not discharge someone to homelessness. If you say you can't have him home then I think the social worker will need to find him somewhere to go. There is a homeless service called Link to Home. I think they are the service social workers use to find somewhere for people to live. 

@Jolene what a difficult position to be in, thinking of you 🌻 How are you travelling at the moment? @Lilac great to see you and your contribution on the forums Smiley Happy

Hi @Tortoiseshell 

Thanks for post. My son was due to be discharged today and had lined up accommodation with a friend who has since pulled the pin and said he can't stay. So accommodation with a SRS has been lined up for him by the social worker. This is not ideal and I would have him home but he's adamant he's not coming home. His paranoia and delusions about me seem to have started subsiding and he's calling me or texting me everyday. 

Today I was supposed to pick him up and take him there but the hospital called and said he'd had a bad night and his medication has been increased and he will stay in at least until Monday now. So at them moment it's a day by day situation. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance