Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

epoh343
New Contributor

I've completely destroyed my life

After feeling like I had recovered from my inability to stick to job, I have recently regressed back to my old ways and resigned from a job about a month ago. Its always the same old pattern. I interview well, receive an offer, start the job and then become completely overwhelmed by the new role and quit. I just cant shake off the feeling that I'm an imposter and management will soon realise how incredibly incompetent and stupid I am. 

In this latest role, I was working alongside several other new people who seemed to be performing really well and doing things correctly without any mistakes. Meanwhile there was me who felt completely in over their head and that I was languishing behind. The main reason I took on this role was because of the high pay and prestige. I always compare myself to others and felt like it was time I had a "career" and not just a "job". This was despite the fact the role wasn't really a good fit given that it was in a highly technical field that I had zero interest/experience in. Unfortunately I never seem to realise this until after I've left.

I've done this several times now. You would think after the first time this happened I would have learned my lesson to not apply for these corporate roles. I feel like I’ve  I have completely destroyed my reputation and will never be employed again. I imagine if there was ever an employee blacklist I would be on it. We live an economy where it’s becoming increasing difficult to get a job yet I seem to throw away opportunities that other people would be incredibly grateful for.

I’m honestly at a loss as to what to do now. I don’t want to apply for other roles as my self-esteem is at an all-time low. I’ve seen a therapist to discuss this issue yet this  doesn’t seem to help as I always revert back to my old patterns.

I’ve considered contacting my old employer to see if I can return in some capacity but I’m too embarrassed to admit failure and honestly don’t think there’s any possibility of returning.  I’ve destroyed my life and don’t know what to do. I'm currenytly living off enough savings for the next 8 months or so. I fear when this runs out I'll end up homeless and living on the streets.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: I've completely destroyed my life

Hey there @epoh343  first up thank you for posting and sharing your story within the forums. This is a very welcoming and non-judgemental community and you will most definitely find you are not alone with this challenge, so thank you - we do hear you Heart

Well done on seeking counselling, and well done for enabling some savings so that you do have some leeway regarding time to get on top of this issue. You're also incredibly self-aware, it takes a lot of insight to possess such self-awareness - even if we don't have all the answers yet. Is it possible that the job hops continue to happen due to a conflict between what you think you should be doing and what you truly want to do? Sometimes we come up against this "imposter syndrome" feeling when we don't actually know what we truly want to do. I could be off, but worth noting it as something to consider. In terms of counselling, what do you think is missing from the process? I have heard of a few people with mental health challenges finding a lot of helpful strategies alongside job/career coaches. Would you be up for something like this? 

Speak soon, and again welcome 🙂  Also as you are new I would recommend checking out our Community Guidelines here.

Thanks for your response @nashy. The main problem I have is that I lack any real talents or interests. I've been asked many times what I'm interested in and cannot go beyond superficial things like movies, music or video games or sport. Every time I try something new I always lose interest. I'm doubtful a career coach can help me

I spent too much time studying a degree that I never ended up using and only have been seriously working full time for the past 4 years. I held down one serious job for 2.5 years and then another role for 6 months. Every other role I've had since has been for a few weeks because of overwhelming anxiety causing me to quit. 

While I'm fully aware that making these terrible decisions only results in my personal circumstances becoming increasingly more difficult, I cannot stop this terrible pattern. I feel like I have burned all my bridges and am staring down the barrel of a life of misery and despair because of my bad choices.

I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to end my life because I just don't see a future for myself. I'm so deeply ashamed of who I've become. I now spend my days researching on the most painless ways to end my life. Family and and friends had such high hopes for me and I've let everyone down by amounting to nothing. Again, I know reading about suicide isn't a wise thing to do given my circumstances yet I cannot help but do so given my how I feel about myself. 

Dear @epoh343,

It's really brave of you to come to the forums to talk about this. It sounds like your high anxiety has been such a struggle for you in finding new jobs. I can hear you are feeling so certain that things will not be okay to the point where you are researching ways to end your life. That's really hard. I'm sending you an email to check in about your safety so please keep an eye on your inbox. 

I hope you get lots of support in the forums but I would also really encourage you to think about getting professional mental health support in place. It sounds like you don't have a lot of confidence in therapy because you reverted back to old patterns last time, but it takes time and hard work for people to change patterns they have had for a while.

Take care, 

Tortoiseshell  

Hi @epoh343 ,

welcome to the forum 👋🏻😊

I can relate to much of what you have written. Everyone in my world is successful except for me. It’s not like I wasn’t given great opportunities. I’ve always been told that I don’t reach my potential. Apparently most people see potential in me but me. I have been where you are and what you are contemplating too. I haven’t managed to work for a very long time (more than two decades). I am hugely worried about things like people seeing my potential and then not living up to it. 

Just recently I have begun to see things a little differently. I have a psychiatrist who I see fortnightly and we are working through addressing this stuff. It’s the first time someone is unpacking why this is the case in a way that I feel is helpful. For me part of the reason is possibly ADHD (without the H 😳). I fit more the daydreamy ADHD kind. I am just in the process of working through this now. Regardless of what diagnosis the anxiety I feel to perform is self defeating. It is something I’m going to work on as well. 

I know you may may not be the same as me but finding someone who listens and gets you is really helpful. I stopped the looking online thing a while ago. It doesn’t help at all and can be really harmful (from someone who tried). I hope you can maybe use your online searches to find someone who can help you work through this. The helpline at SANE is amazing place to start. They can suggest the kind of places to get some real support and help you move past this stage. I have mostly moved past it but it sometimes still gets me feeling really low and worthless. Having the support I have is giving me hope that I can find a fulfilling life. 

I wish you all the best.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance