Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: What do I do?

Hi,

I also have a child (son) who is 17 and has struggled with mental health issues for around 4 years now. He has been diagnosed as having major depressive disorder and social anxiety disorder. Throughout my struggles with him, and the school and health system, the one thing that I have learned is that above and beyond the systems that are out there, is that I am the number 1 primary support person in his life.

I have watched my son fall out of mainstream schooling to now be in a residential care facility and SPS school. I have had to sit by and watch friend after friend disappear and leave him isolated in his own misery. I have also had to witness family deliberately and hurtfully turn their back on my son and offer no support of either him or me. It's not been easy. In fact it has been very, very hard, painful, and at times overwhelming. When this happens you begin to feel like you are swimming against the stream. Everything is hard and difficult. Even getting appropriate treatment or attention is hard.

I have also been in the predicament of having to call Police and Ambulance in order to maintain my son's safety and have been in "insane" situations where I felt there was no support.

What you need to do is keep facing forward and swim against the tide. Perservere and forge forward. If you can connect with one professional, be it a counsellor or psychologist, this would be good. Continuity of history becomes important, as does connection with one individual who understands the full story. For me I was able to establish this via a psychologist in private practice. My son has been engaged with her for 3.5 years and she has been very instrumental in achieving further support. Additionally he has also seen the same psychiatrist for 3 years - again providing us/him with continuity of care and the ability to open further avenues of treatment and care. If you are not in the position to afford private consults then I would recommend becoming acquainted with your local mental health care team or community services with a view to establishing a long-term rapport with them  If you become familiar with the local mental health care team they do offer after hours support for emergency psych situations, so that may be another thing to consider as opposed to other emergency interventions.  A  psychologist or psychiatrist should be able to refer your daugher to the mental health care team for ongoing management and care.

In the meantime you have to ensure that you look after yourself and take balancing time out.  As a carer and mother you can only do so much.  I have learnt that my effectiveness as both carer and mother is very dependent on how well I am.  The better I am, the better I can be for my child.  Ensure that somewhere along the road you take time to focus on some good stuff for yourself because if you consistently give and expend outward energy it will take it's toll on you and ultimately affect your ability to function in a healthy and productive way.  

You sound as if you are doing a wonderful job and I commend you on your strength and resilience.  

All the best

Janna ❤️

Just called Helpline. Only open during business hours. My daughter is having a melt down NOW . Locked herself in the bathroom. Saying she will harm herself. She won't do it as she always threats but we are just over this abuse that we get nearly every night. DRAINED!! Don't want to call the police as she will be taken away but I just need an after hours number of any after hours help out there for her now 😫 There's got to be a service out there for on call physiatrists or something

Hi
Sorry to hear you're again having a difficult time with your daughter. 000 is the best way to get help urgently. The 24/7 Mental Health Advice Line (1300 280 737) might be a good place to start looking at local assistance.
Regards
Lola [moderator]

Thank you. If the police get involved again they will take her away. I will try & contact her counsellor again tomorrow. I need a case manager who I can call at times like this.
I'm drained & just want to get the help she needs ASAP.

How are you going @Mumsworry1 ?

Thinking about you ...

🌷

Hi
Thanks for asking.
We have had our ups and downs. Doesn't help when my daughter put some trust in her only 2 friends who went behind her back and said a few lies to break up my daughters relationship, oh & the bullying from them & one of the girls 50 yo father. We have now got them out if our lives, my daughters lonely but she will get through this.
We are now going through our local GP for that 10 app plan with a new Phychiatrist. She's lovely but it's going to take a bit of time for her to know the whole situation & help out my daughter. Very slow process but I think we are on a better road now.

That's good to hear @Mumsworry1, the part where you are receiving support and can see daylight.

So sad about the friendship issues ..... but I hope your journey leads you to some new friendships amongst families who truly understand your situation and share empathy over the frustrations and pain involved.

Drop in and have a chat with us on Hot Chocolate Anyone ? (thread under "Looking after ourselves") any time you feel like some company .... new parents are popping up in the forum here with similar issues all the time.  I can help to just know there are kindred spirits around.

🌷

Hi There. It sounds like you are in the right place with caring souls who can assist with their own personal experiences and advice to help. I too am very new to this forum and caring for a 15 year old. I just wanted to know more about what your daughter is experiencing with her sleep. You said she's up late till 2am. Does she sleep in late and is this a regular phase? 

Update: things are looking up. My daughter is doing ok, she has come to terms that the boyfriend has moved on & has detached herself from those horrible girls she had as friends. She has now caught up with old friends & is preoccupying herself with them.
Just hope she doesn't go down the same track as a few months ago.
😃

Good to hear @Mumsworry1 .... 😊

Thanks for letting us know .... hope she goes from strength to strength from here ❣

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance