Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Watermelongirl
Contributor

New..

I’m new. 

I have complex ptsd.

i suppresses my memories of sexual abuse.. that started at the age of 3 and continued through my teenage years. I’ve had multiple abusers. My memories are returning to me. I’m scared. Each memory is like I’m living it for the first time. It feels like I’ve had two lives. The one I remember and the one that has just started to surface. I feel raw. My anxiety is overwhelming me. I’m sick with a virus right now - and I’ve never coped well with taking time off work. I have a good support network. I have a trusted psychologist, psychiatrist, doctor.. my family know most of it. Some of my friends know too. But I feel alone. I feel like I live a half life, and that life is full of insecurity and shame.

9 REPLIES 9
Snowie
Community Guide

Re: New..

Hi @Watermelongirl 

Welcome to Sane forums

It is so hard when we have those memories return. I am glad you have a good support network surrounding you.

Do you use any distraction techniques to help with the flashbacks?

I try grounding myself.. and breathing techniques. I use the app Calm. 

But somedays.. like today - I feel like that’s all I’ve been doing. 

Usually I do okay, I do CrossFit or try to distract myself with a book or draw.. I’m learning to not eat as that had been a coping strategy that’s lead to being overweight - and I’m on a plan from nutritionist to help fight that.

@Snowie wrote:

Hi @Watermelongirl 

Welcome to Sane forums

It is so hard when we have those memories return. I am glad you have a good support network surrounding you.

Do you use any distraction techniques to help with the flashbacks?

It is hard when our coping strategies do not help us. Sometimes it is just about trying to get through each hour as it comes.

I hope you find this forum supportive, it can also be a good distraction when having rough days.

@Watermelongirl 

Thank you. It helps knowing that someone knows 

starflame
Senior Contributor

I am going through the same stuff @Watermelongirl 

hello and tender hugs @starflame , @Watermelongirl , @Snowie 

remember we are here for you , you are never alone

so please keep sharing xx

It’s pretty tough going. I wouldn’t wish it upon anyone. Hope you’re okay. 

@starflame @Shaz51 ❤️❤️❤️

we are here for you @Watermelongirl 

what`s happened my friend xoxo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance