Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Needing Ideas

Hi Everyone

I can see a few variations on this theme ...

One is a "Take 1 - Take 2" version ...

"Take 1" is depicting a scene, taken from lived experience, where people with an mi are made to feel very uncomfortable - perhaps in a job interview setting, or school yard, or other social circumstances ... basically showing how not to treat someone with an mi ....

"Take 2" is a replay of the same scene, also taken from lived experience, where the same person in treated appropriately to their circumstances, which is likely to be how you would interact with someone who doesn't suffer mi issues ... 

You could even do a "Take 3" where you substitute the word "diabetes", or "cancer", or "fibromyalgia", or reference supporting someone who has a physical disability, showing that greater stigma is placed on an mi than the other conditions simply through lack of awareness.

Another type of clip might already have been done .... where scenes are taken from everyday life .... then wording is superimposed over them in sentences, which are displayed and then removed .... saying -

Which person suffers with a diabetes condition ... ?

Which person suffers with an epilepsy condition .... ?

Which person suffers with a bipolar condition .... ?

Which person suffers from a hypermobility condition .... ?

Raising awareness ....

Raising compassion ....

Raising support ....

(of course there is no way to tell whether the people in the clips are struggling with anything at all, because the people and activities depicted are what we see everyday around us with no defining elements towards anything being asked ...)

🌷

Great ideas, Faith and Hope. I'll pass all of this on to the producer/director. Thank you so much.

😊🌷💕

F&H

I think there is a real need for a doco that reduces the stigma and fear around psychiatric wards. For many people with mental illness ( including my son) , a stint in a psych ward is somtimes the only place where they can recover. Everyday lives are saved by these institutions and yet we rarely hear about this. The media is usually only interested when they have failed to save a life. If there were tv shows or docos that showed the good work that goes on there ( even if it is a drama to protect people's identities), these places could become less stigmatised and therefore less scary for the individuals whose lives sometimes depend on them.

Hello @Jo, how did you go ??'

Tell us all about it please   xx

Hello @Ytsrik, @Faith-and-Hope, @Former-Member, @Janna

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance