Skip to main content

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Welcome @Olga ! What have you learned about managing bipolar over the years since you were diagnosed?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Hi @Olga welcome!

The forum has been really good for me in terms of acceptance and solidarity with people who get what I'm going through. I'm glad you found your way here.

It's great that it sounds you've found a regimen that works for you @Shaz51 and are able to adjust that as needed

I had a GP diagnosis's of major depression. was on anti D's for 10 yrs. Then started to get visual disturbances. The Dr asked if I would go to a psyc. So I ended up getting a through assessment. Bi Polar 2. I am now on mood stabilisers and am not perfect, But defiantly the best I have been in my life.. I don't drink or take any not prescribed drugs now.

Passing this next question to you @SusanaBA 

Question 3: What is the role of peer support and connection in recovery?

And for our community following along: Has there been a time when you have sought support from others and how has that helped your journey? 

@frog you mentioned earlier finding your tribe 🙂 

Good evening all

@Daisydreamer @TideisTurning @SusanaBA @Mazarita (in case you didn't know this was on) and all here @Shaz51 @BPDSurvivor @frog @davidharper_bal (pleased to meet you).

Sorry I'm late I just got in from tai chi.  Will read back what I can and try to catch up.  FYI I have bipolar 1 and complex and chronic PTSD, which impact on each other.  I also keep monitoring charts and am compliant with meds.  Not diagnosed until I was 46 (now 57).  Have been pretty stable most of the time now since late 2017.  Also do a bit of peer work with the local disability alliance and was a community guide here for 15 months until late last year.

Really looked forward to this discussion.  Didn't get a notification reminder tho'.

Hi @HenryX! It's great to see you are looking for more information about your father.

Depression is fairly easy to spot, but in terms of the "highs", perhaps it would be good to look at the following list - http://www.bipolaraustralia.org.au/go/hcl32 - and tell us whether anything sounds like your dad.

@davidharper_bal  he is on both -- an antidepressant or and antipsychotic, but no mood stabiliser,

I found finally some meds that work and life style changes. Reduce stress, no shift work, sleep etc

Question 3: What is the role of peer support and connection in recovery?

I have been running support groups for the past 15 years and they have been a great way for people to reduce feelings of isolation. Especially for people who live by themselves. Meeting people who understand bipolar can be very comforting. It allows people to vent, and to feel understood where you don’t have to always explain the unexplainable.

Peer support

Peer support provides a safe, warm and inviting space to connect with others through sharing knowledge, thoughts, and insights. It's about developing a positive relationship with a group of people that establishes trust. It allows people to feel safe and free to speak their mind. Peer support is about providing useful information and making real meaningful changes in people's lives.

Recovery

In terms of recovery, bipolar can be diagnosed, treated, and managed. No person has a perfect life, so recovery does not mean that someone will always be happy. But with the right help, each person with bipolar can have just as many chances as every other person. Peer support can also help with the recovery process by fostering social inclusion and connectedness, establishing hope, optimism about recovery, and reducing the impacts of stigma.